Join Dr. Michele for Season 2, Episode 2 of the Body Wisdom Podcast as she interviews guest Rebecca Coomes of The Healthy Gut, discussing how to thrive with a chronic illness and how to beat SIBO.
Rebecca Coomes is an author, entrepreneur, passionate foodie and intrepid traveler. She transformed her health after a lifetime of chronic illness, and today guides others on their own path to wellness. She is the founder of The Healthy Gut, a platform where people can learn about gut health and how it is important for a healthy mind and body. She coaches SIBO patients on how to live well with SIBO through her SIBO Coaching Program. Rebecca is the author of the world’s first cookbooks for people treating Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), and is the host of the The Healthy Gut podcast and SIBO Cooking Show.
- What was your healing journey like?
- Rebecca’s story includes being born a premie, raised on formula with multiple rounds of antibiotics as a baby.
- As a child, she had problems with immunity.
- She developed severe PMS, cystic acne, food sensitivities, endometriosis, and IBS.
2. What are the symptoms of SIBO?
- Any of the following can be symptoms of SIBO: pain, bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea, growing list of food sensitivities, gas, brain fog, joint pain, skin issues, iron or B12 deficiency, respiratory symptoms, mood disorders such as anxiety and depression, restless leg syndrome, endometriosis, diabetes, IBD (Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis), celiac disease, thyroid disease, acne, rosacea.
3. How did you get diagnosed?
- Her Naturopathic Doctor said “I believe you.”
- She was diagnosed with a positive SIBO breath test.
- Although SIBO is not commonly known to many doctors and people in general, it is estimated that 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 Americans have SIBO; that is approximately 100 million Americans.
- 60% of patients that suffer from IBS have SIBO also.
- 2/3 of patients with chronic illness have SIBO.
4. How did you treat it?
- Rebecca was treated successfully with herbal antibiotics.
- There are 3 treatments for SIBO that work: Rx antibiotics, herbal antibiotics, and diet alone (The Elemental Diet).
- Dr. Michele was treated successfully with The Elemental Diet.
5. What tips would you give to someone who thinks they may have SIBO?
- Anyone who suspects they may have SIBO can take the quiz on Dr. Narala’s website: sibotest.com
- Find a Naturopathic Doctor who knows how to treat SIBO.
6. How important is having a “healthy gut team” in your healing and treatment?
- Build a dream team!
- Your dream team can include a Naturopathic Doctor, a Personal Trainer, a Nutritionist, and a Mindset Coach.
7. What inspired you to write the cookbooks?
- The cookbooks are based on the Bi-Phasic Diet.
- All of the recipes are 100% gluten-free.
Contact Information and Important Links:
- SIBO Summer Cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/SIBO-Summer-Cookbook-Intestinal-Overgrowth-ebook/dp/B01LWU0YOZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502397606&sr=8-1&keywords=sibo+cookbooks
- SIBO Family Favourites: https://www.amazon.com/SIBO-Family-Favourites-eCookbook-Intestinal-ebook/dp/B06ZZBYFCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502397655&sr=8-2&keywords=rebecca+coomes
This episode was brought to you by the Body Wisdom 10 Week Coaching Program: http://www.drmichele.com/pages/bodywisdom/
For more information on SIBO, check out my latest blog post: