Join Dr. Michele on this week’s episode of Body Wisdom as she speaks with Peter Shankman about how to use ADD/ADHD as your superpower.
Peter Shankman is an entrepreneur, CEO, runner, skydiver, podcaster, Ironman Triathlete, and most importantly, a dad. He’s the founder of ShankMinds: Breakthrough, a private, online entrepreneur community with hundreds of members around the world.
He’s perhaps best known for founding Help a Reporter Out, the largest source repository in the world, which fundamentally changed how journalists source their stories. His customer service and social media clients have included Re/Max, NBC/Universal, American Express, NBC, Universal, E Entertainment, Sprint, the US Department of Defense, Royal Bank of Canada, Saudi Aramco, Snapple, Walt Disney World, and many others.
Peter is the author of five books, including his most recent best seller, Zombie Loyalists: Using Great Service to Create Rabid Fans, and the upcoming Faster Than Normal: Turbocharge Your Focus, Productivity, and Success with the Secrets of the ADHD Brain (Tarcher Perigee, 2017) Peter also hosts the top-rated Faster Than Normal Podcast, helping people understand that ADD and ADHD is a gift, not a curse. He’s based in NYC.
Main Questions Asked:
- Could you tell us about your story and why you’re passionate about ADD and ADHD?
- In the past, there was no such thing as ADD and ADHD.
- Peter always knew he was different, after his therapist gave him the book Deliver Me From Distractions it all began to make sense and he started his journey to turning the condition into an advantage.
- ADHD isn’t a problem, the brain just works faster.
- There are differences in the way the different kinds of brains process information. You have to find out the particular way it works for you.
- What advice do you have for parents that have kids with ADHD?
- Your child is not broken just different and different is good.
- They can do things their own way and still do well in school and life.
- What are your thoughts on diet and ADHD?
- You will pay for a poor diet at some point.
- Eating healthier and getting a proper amount of sleep will help you focus over the course of the day.
- You can eat less healthy foods but you shouldn’t make it the norm.
- There are some kids that need medication but perhaps some kids are just being kids.
- It’s common for doctors to recommend medication for most conditions, there’s a place for medication but you shouldn’t be afraid to seek out second opinions.
- Studies show that incorporating more physical activity into a child’s education improves their ability to learn.
- Do you have any advice for highschool kids?
- Find the place that you find it easy to study without getting bored and be prepared to go there often.
- The kids will know best where the most effective place to learn for them is.
- The same advice applies but you should make sure you have someone on your team that can keep you on schedule.
- Would you say that exercise works well for you?
- Exercise is very important to help Peter focus.
- The trick is to find out what works most effective for you.
- What do you mean that ADHD is a blessing, not a curse?
- ADHD is a case of having a faster brain, similar to driving a Ferrari instead of a Honda. You have to learn how to drive the faster car well before you can really take advantage of it.
- There is nothing wrong with doing something other people think is crazy if it works well for you.