In this week’s episode of Body Wisdom, Dr. Michele Summers Colon interviews Erin Sharaf.
Erin is the creator and founder of Mindfulness + Magic and helps people reclaim their health, power and vitality through enhancing the mind-body connection. She is a recovering academic who believes that narrow boxes are for shoes and not for people.
Erin’s great joy is getting to share the transformative practice of mindfulness with others through coaching, workshops and retreats. She is also lit-up by travel, a plant-based diet, deep rest and deep play.
Main Questions Asked:
- How did you first get interested in mindfulness in the mind body connection?
- It all started about 20 years ago while Erin was practising medicine as a primary care PA for 10 years. At that time she started practising yoga and quickly realized that the current conventional medical system was very limited, and the majority of the patients weren’t getting the help they needed. Erin then began to search for more information which lead her to stumble upon the mind body connection and the different things we can do for ourselves to enhance health and wellness.
- Why do you think our current healthcare system isn’t enough for those who want true health?
The current system is very fragmented with many specialists looking at individual parts, while often missing the person as a whole. We often treat symptoms while missing the root cause of the symptoms.
Many healers are feeling limited by the system and are either trying to make change from within or leave the system entirely.
- How do you think the current education is contributing to all the dis-ease?
- The system where the doctor or health care provider is the expert and dictates the plan is the old paradigm. The new system is where both are partnering for the greatest good. Systems can be slow to change, but there is a revolution starting that will be more empowering for patients and caregivers alike.
- What is your highest vision for individual and collective health?
- To have a culture that encourages and teaches people from a very young age to know, understand, and honor what is true to themselves. As well as teach them how to build the skills to manage difficult or challenging emotions like anger, sadness, depression, etc.
- To reframe what we value and give time, energy, and money to make it happen.
- To have a society of individuals that are focused on the well being and happiness of our society as a whole, as opposed to focusing on competing for supremacy over one another.
- To broaden our definition of intelligence and cultivate many different types of intelligence.