In this week’s episode of Body Wisdom, Dr. Michele Summers Colon interviews Angela Blaha.
With twenty-two years of helping people make positive life changes, Angela is a transformational teacher, mentor, speaker and author. She is passionate about helping people overcome obstacles through their life journey.
In her book, Show Me: How to Remember Your Power Through Self-love and Forgiveness, Angela provides free Show Me meditations that walk people through the process, step-by-step. Angela has worked extensively with school systems as both a School Counselor and Principal. She has taught mindfulness practices with ADHD youth and adults. Her methods help to decrease stress, clarify goals by increasing natural strengths and abilities. The outcome of Angela’s work is an exciting blend of the academia of positive psychology and the spirituality of meditation.
MAIN QUESTIONS ASKED:
First of all, tell us your story.
- During Angela’s work as a school principal she began meditating and people noticed a positive difference in her.
- Meditating helped Angela get through a series of family health issues.
- People are very stressed and meditation can be the key to managing that.
What is meditation to you? And what is it not?
- The best way to approach meditation is to do whatever works for you.
- Aim for twice a day, 30 minutes each time. If you can only do 5 minutes then do 5 minutes.
- Your practice will change over time.
- Meditation doesn’t always mean sitting in place, being conscious and creative works too.
I get asked all the time about the benefits of meditation.
- Meditation shifts the body’s function, it will ease the fight or flight response, heart rate slows down, we consume less oxygen and exhale less CO2, the immune system is fortified, and many others.
- We are constantly looking outside ourselves for the answers when we should be looking within.
What tips could you give to someone just getting started?
- Look at your beliefs that are preventing you from meditating.
- Your limiting beliefs are probably affecting multiple areas of your life.
- Start with a guided meditation.
- Food meditation and walking is another good way to ease into meditating. The key is to be conscious of the sensations of your body and your thoughts.
Can you explain what the chakras are in easy to understand language?
- Chakras are the body’s energy system.
- Your beliefs manifest into a sensation somewhere in the body.
- Your energy is how you relate to the world and thinking patterns around you and affects the energy of those around you as well.
Tell us about your book Show Me: How to Remember Your Power through Self-love and Forgiveness.
- The book focuses on self love and working through difficult transition points in life.
- Without self love you will feel out of alignment with your body.
- Similar to meditation, the book contains lessons that are meant to be practiced and not just read.